Friday, February 13, 2009
Valentine's Day

Happy Unvalentine's Day, that most revolting and commercial of holidays. It is also the anniversary of the loss of my virginity, a generally unremarkable experience. I was 15, and he was 19. I had been experiencing my virginity as a tiresome burden for quite some time; so much mythology surrounds that particular act. So much crap is talked about sex and love, and especially for what it 'should' mean to women.
I had an early intimation that love and sex were quite separate things, and a nascent commitment in my burgeoning consciousness of feminism that my right to pleasure was not contingent upon the permission afforded by 'being in love'. We are body and mind both but separate, and they are equally ours to dispose of, and it strikes me as obscene to suggest otherwise. It has always seemed bizarre and equally obscene to me to place such significance upon that particular act of sex, vaginal intercourse, one which is or ought to be but one in the great and vast land of possible pleasure.


If I sucked my boyfriend's cock, if I shudderingly allowed someone to finger me into orgasm, twisting against his fingers despite myself until I came-- if I let someone teach me how to stroke him into coming-- if I laid down and let someone bury his face between my thighs, but wouldn't let him make me come that way-- how was all of this eager uneasy exploration not 'real' sex?
But we are told that it's only fucking that matters and that virtue itself is bound up with a technical kind of virginity, and my body and my reason told me that this wasn't true.
Each of these was a momentous act, important, secret.

In my own case, I had a morbid fear of losing that virginity to someone I loved. I suppose what I actually feared at that point was falling in love. I felt also that my virginity was a burden I did not want to bring into a relationship. I knew already that none of these acts were less important, less meaningful, and I was terrified to think of how it would shake me to let someone in, to let them inside myself. If these other acts meant so much, how much more might this mean?

I look at myself as I was then, and what strikes me is that while I was and am relatively physically fearless, I am far more frightened by emotional risk.

Consequently I fucked a boy I had been dating for some 3 months, part of whose attraction for me in this case was that I knew that I could not ever fall in love with him. It was unremarkable, and disappointing in the way these things usually are. I think we were both very nervous. In any case there was none of the trembling heat that we had generated in other carnal embraces, on substitutes for beds far less comfortable. He sent me 2 dozen roses the next day, a nice gesture which I have no doubt was observed and interpreted correctly by my father and my neighbours, and I broke up with him a week later. There was some change in him afterwards, and I think I have always had one foot out any door in any relationship. The urge to flee or leave before I can be left drives me.

I think it was the first time I had been to his house while his parents were away. He was from a family with money even in a town famous for its wealth. Not my town, obviously. One of the things I most remember about that period of my life is a general feeling of concealment, of secrecy. One thing that I think I have lost now is the feeling of imprisonment within a certain role, the role of good girl. I was always quite conscious of the fact that I was not such a thing, and yet I felt so often held back or not seen because people would look at me through this lens, expect me to be this way. In his house I know I sat modestly while he cooked for me in his splendid kitchen. He wanted to be a chef and this was the first time I ever ate caviar, which I liked both then and now rather less than some other salty/seawater-sweet things he introduced me to.

All of this and the sight of this house made me want to break things. To put a boot through the TV, to throw it out of the window into the pool, to have a Pink Floyd moment.

I imagined it while I was sitting there.

I also knew that this was not a part of me he could ever see, or understand or appreciate if he did see it. No; for him I was that terrible and colourless thing, a good girl. I hoped I would bleed on his sheets and his WASP mother would find it. Sadly, no. Not much pain either.

After this however, I went on my merry way, deflowering a few other virgins myself--I hope with more tenderness and skill. I spoke this year to the girl who had been my best friend then; we had been intensely close for some 6 years although we have been out of touch for some time. The funny thing was that I heard in her voice for the first time the accent of my old town. "It doesn't sound like you", she said to me, and I suppose it does not--neither my accent nor my words, nor the ideas I would express.

I saw J and M last week, she said to me. Of course
I remembered J, the boy and then man who was in and out of her life for many years. M? I said. You know, M, she said. M?? Yes, I had forgotten even his name.

In a way I wish I had the fortitude or courage to risk losing my virginity to someone I loved. That would have happened after all only a little later. On the other hand, I certainly don't regret my decision; it was an early endorsement of the pleasures and importance of bathhouse fornication. It was also a way of breaking free at the earliest possible moment from that old lie for women: that virtue is entirely a matter of physical chastity, that sex is (or in some way, ought to be) entirely a matter of love, that being good, for women only, consists in never deviating from these beliefs.

And so I'll leave you with my own Unvalentine's Day wish: these paintings. This is what I would like to have been given:


Check out all the brilliant paintings at Broken Toyland if you are looking for an Unvalentine's gift; originals are available, as well as prints of everything she's done.



For further Unvalentine readings, I heartily endorse Lovelorn Swain's call for revolution here.



As for this painting, apart from loving the broken toys, drug references, and heartbreak, I like the way it reminds me of Catullus:

I hate and I love, and if you ask me how
I do not know, but I do, and I am torn in two.

Not my own case at the moment, but isn't it beautiful?

Labels: , ,

posted by O @ 00:47  

11 Comments:
  • At 13 February, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yes, it is beautiful.
    And 'a Pink Floyd moment' just cracked me up...what a perfect description.
    Thanks

     
  • At 13 February, 2009, Blogger Frequent Traveler said…

    O,
    He was trying so hard to please you - and you hated him for it and ran.

    You assumed he didn't see you and couldn't love you without letting him truly in to who you were.

    I've done that...

    Love and connection can be frightening.

    My parents were so dysfunctional I had no idea how to be emotionally intimate and bond. I wanted to love but didn't know what it looked like even as my heart swelled with hope and need.

    My first time was equally unexciting... The books make it sound so amazing, but without the love and comfort of mutual tenderness and adoration and chemistry, it doesn't become that....

     
  • At 13 February, 2009, Blogger L. said…

    Just have to add another recommendation for UnValentine's Art. His "Fuck Valentine's Day" series always made me giggle.

     
  • At 13 February, 2009, Blogger Remittance Girl said…

    Hello O,

    I think you and I might have had the same determined drive to rid ourselves of our virginity before it became some monstrous hurdle.

    And your comments about vaginal intercourse are spot, spot on.

    The most erotic interlude I ever had was effected with a fully clothed almost-stranger, and involved frantic frottage up against a wall in the dark. It was a pure, uninhibited, techniqueless thing of passion.

    I've since forgotten a lot of good fucks, but that single penetrationless act of eroticism is still crystalline in my mind.

     
  • At 13 February, 2009, Blogger selkie said…

    You know what I like MOST about this - that you took control of your sexual being - you chose the person, the time. That is something I hope I gave to my girls - sex is great and wonderful BUT only if YOU are into it - DO NOT LET YOURSELF BE PRESSUED, COERCED, PUSHED.

    I have pride that I chose the time and moment as well - I was an elderly 17 - (old by the standards where I grew up where 13 wasn't that unusual) - I had had boys dump me more than once, but I determined the time and place - and never looked back nor regretted it -

    and yes, it was D. - all those years ago - my first lover (but not my last at that point) - and he had broken up with me twice becuase I didn't fuck (He had had lovers since he was 12) - but then we were together and no longer under pressure, decided I was ready.

    Oddly, I was hardly practical - went on the pill for three months (to make sure) then seduced HIM - it freaked him out when he realized he was the first - told me later that he almost got up and put on his pants to leave ...grins - .... no bad memories there ... just coltish, trembling legs as he walked me home and I still remember the pongy, sharp sticky feel and smell of him that first time.

     
  • At 13 February, 2009, Blogger O said…

    Beloved sss,

    I thought you might like that. I knew you'd recognise the sentiment. You know what I mean.
    A few years later and I'd have been referencing this-- although it doesn't have the 'pitch a TV out of the window into the pool, smash that shit up', anarchic vibe.
    There was a pool and I did dream at that moment during dinner of booting the TV and then pitching it through the plate glass window into it.
    Sadly, I couldn't even manage bleeding on the sheets. Not very punk rock, was I?

    Love
    O

     
  • At 13 February, 2009, Blogger O said…

    Dear Annie,

    You are very right when you say Love and connection can be frightening, and i know what you mean about being afraid to bond. I even think that's what's going on with me now in many ways so I'm grateful for your insight.

    But this: He was trying so hard to please you - and you hated him for it and ran. isn't what happened.

    I probably didn't write it clearly enough. But he was 19 and I was 15, he wanted to fuck a virgin, and was heavily invested in the notion of himself as a seducer.

    Everything he did, from the dinner to the fucking to the flowers later, was all about him. He was training himself. Trying out roles just like I was, trying on a role for his life as an adult--but the role he was trying on was 'shithead', I promise.

    best,
    O

     
  • At 14 February, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear O,
    Not many can boast the same (Val Day and Virginity). I thought I'd mention this blog post. Keep a look out at Lucrezia Magazine.

     
  • At 14 February, 2009, Blogger Evil Minx said…

    I love your perceptive abilities -- they reach so much further than mine ever do or could and i have so much admiration for you.

    Fabulous piece. Truly.

    Happy not-necessarily-Valentines day...

    Minxy x

     
  • At 14 February, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    http://lucreziamagazine.com/index.php/editorial/dirty-weekend/378-dirty-weekend-lucrezias-weekend-web-roundup

     
  • At 19 February, 2009, Blogger Lovelorn Swain said…

    Revolution? I fear we are in a period of reaction, at least as far as the erotic is concerned.
    But thank you for a characteristically insightful post

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
CV

Name: O
See my profile

Doncha wish your girlfriend were a geek like me?

About this blog, here

RSS: find me here
memory

capitalist tools

newest links
sponsers

eye candy

more gin than tonic
more salt than vinegar
more rock than lobster
more think than kink
O, elsewhere

Featured Artist: August 2006
I'm Feelin' the Love
Your writing in the other hand [sic] is pure filth and disgusting. Private Email

Don't read this blog if you gave up poetry with college. Sugarclick

People don't "Get" [sic] obscure litterary [sic] references.[. . .] Email from a 'fan'.(sick)

You're a little slow on the uptake. Email from an "abscent" friend.

[. . .] a vision I have basely used to attain my own personal sexual nirvana. Chelsea Girl

Creamilicious! Marcella, SweetSpicy News

featured on:
    October 13, 2006

    Thanks Chelsea Girl

    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

other links

Sex Blog Directory

Sex Blog Toplist

more meta

Free Blogger Templates

Modified by The Moon, B and I

Creative Commons License

hits counter