Friday, January 09, 2009
five tanka of emotional dysfunction
I'm bringing back some things from my old site, which will be new to some and I hope worth rereading to those who have seen them.

What's a tanka? It's like a haiku, but not. You have 5 lines with the syllable count 5-7-5-7-7, but a tanka is "a poem of feelings, often involving metaphor and other figurative language (not generally used in haiku). While tanka praising nature have been written, and seem to resemble "long haiku," most tanka deal with human relationships or the author's situation."

Here are the Five Tanka of Emotional Dysfunction: prefaced by a bonus
one on sexual dysfunction: (See Chelsea Girl's brilliant Haiku to Sexual Misfunction as inspiration; for the definition of Tanka, my friend Tree whose blog is defunct.)

Virgil writes, "Dido
burns, fumes, blazes". Did this mean:
"It hurts when I pee?"
I hope not. Syphilitic
Aeneus! His cheeks ablaze.


1.'Love again, wanking
at ten past three', writes Larkin.
Wise man. He knew love.
Loathed it. It's a cunt, like you.
This truth makes no difference.

2. Bright Star! would I were
Steadfast as thou---arrgh, fuck it!
The stars are not fixed.
They shine with reflected light.
In me, you find your mirror.

3. Break, Sappho, break off.
Enough with the emo, please.
Time to cut losses.
You loved once, it's true. So what?
Who hasn't? --A common grief.

4.Write, erase, rewrite.
Oh, do not ask, "What is it"?
In this green bower
mermaids sing, each to each. Death
trellised life. It's where we meet.

5. I quote poetry.
Easier and less naked
For me. It's armor.
Of a sort. These words, not-mine,
Hide me while they reveal me.

Leave me one of your own in the comments, if you like.

Labels: , ,

posted by O @ 09:00  

3 Comments:
  • At 09 January, 2009, Blogger Frequent Traveler said…

    I used to yearn much
    Hungered for loving connection, mating of hearts
    Wasted years on futile dreams
    Now have found surcease in accepting truth
    Contentment, joy, appreciation are found in solitude

     
  • At 09 January, 2009, Blogger O said…

    Annie, I like that! do you write poetry?

     
  • At 09 January, 2009, Blogger O said…

    BTW, for those who are asking me, this is the Terence of the label. Just another geek joke!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
CV

Name: O
See my profile

Doncha wish your girlfriend were a geek like me?

About this blog, here

RSS: find me here
memory

capitalist tools

newest links
sponsers

eye candy

more gin than tonic
more salt than vinegar
more rock than lobster
more think than kink
O, elsewhere

Featured Artist: August 2006
I'm Feelin' the Love
Your writing in the other hand [sic] is pure filth and disgusting. Private Email

Don't read this blog if you gave up poetry with college. Sugarclick

People don't "Get" [sic] obscure litterary [sic] references.[. . .] Email from a 'fan'.(sick)

You're a little slow on the uptake. Email from an "abscent" friend.

[. . .] a vision I have basely used to attain my own personal sexual nirvana. Chelsea Girl

Creamilicious! Marcella, SweetSpicy News

featured on:
    October 13, 2006

    Thanks Chelsea Girl

    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

other links

Sex Blog Directory

Sex Blog Toplist

more meta

Free Blogger Templates

Modified by The Moon, B and I

Creative Commons License

hits counter